SERVANTS' MINISTRY, Inc.
Welcome to our website
Fruit of the Spirit
The fruit of the Spirit is a wonderful study for Christians of any age and at any level of spiritual maturity. May this article provide a thought-provoking study to spur you to spiritual growth.
Fruit of the Spirit
Visible Growth in Jesus Christ
Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. (KJV)
The fruit of the Spirit is a Biblical term that reveals the nine visible Godly characteristics in a TRUE Christian life. These awesome attributes are: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance (self-control). My dear friend, these are NOT separate fruits from which we pick and choose what we desire. But instead, the fruit of the Spirit is one nine-fold fruit that describes all who truly walk in the Spirit. As a group, these are the fruits that all Christians should be producing in their new lives with Christ Jesus.
Fruit of the Spirit
The Nine Biblical Attributes
The fruit of the Spirit is a physical display of a Christian's transformed life (Eph.2:1-7). If we are to mature as believers (God’s children), it would profit us to study and understand the powerful attributes of the nine-fold fruit:
- LOVE . . . We must know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. 1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. (KJV) Through Christ Jesus, our greatest goal in life should be to do all things in love. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (KJV) . . . Charity = love!
- JOY . . . Psalm 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. (KJV) Habakkuk 3:18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. (KJV) John 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. (KJV) Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. (KJV) 1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (KJV) 1 Peter 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: (KJV)
- PEACE . . . Psalm 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. (KJV) Psalm 37:37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace. (KJV) Proverbs 16:7 When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. (KJV) John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (KJV) Romans 5:1-2 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (KJV) Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. (KJV) Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (KJV)
- LONGSUFFERING (PATIENCE) . . . Psalm 86:15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. (KJV) Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (KJV) Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; (KJV) Colossians 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; (KJV) Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; (KJV) 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (KJV) 2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; (KJV) Gentleness (kindness) -- We should live "in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left" (2 Corinthians 6:6-7).
- GENTLENESS . . . 2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, (KJV) Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. (KJV) James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. (KJV) 1 Peter 2:18 Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. (KJV)
- GOODNESS . . . Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (KJV) Psalm 27:13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. (KJV) Psalm 31:19 Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! (KJV) Psalm 33:5 He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD. (KJV) Psalm 107:8 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! (KJV) Psalm 107:9 For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness. (KJV) Psalm 107:15 Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! (KJV) Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. (KJV) Ephesians 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) (KJV) 2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: (KJV)
- FAITH (FAITHFULNESS) . . . Psalm 36:5 Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. (KJV) Psalm 89:1 I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. (KJV) Psalm 89:5 And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O LORD: thy faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints. (KJV) Psalm 92:2 To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night, (KJV) Isaiah 25:1 O LORD, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth. (KJV) Matthew 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. (KJV) Luke 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. (KJV) Luke 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? (KJV) 1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. (KJV) 1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. (KJV) Galatians 3:9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. (KJV) 1 Thessalonians 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. (KJV) 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. (KJV) 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (KJV)
- MEEKNESS . . . Psalm 22:26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. (KJV) Psalm 25:9 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. (KJV) Psalm 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. (KJV) Psalm 76:9 When God arose to judgment, to save all the meek of the earth. Selah. (KJV) Psalm 149:4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation. (KJV) Zephaniah 2:3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger. (KJV) Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. (KJV) Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. (KJV) Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; (KJV) Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; (KJV) 1 Timothy 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. (KJV) Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. (KJV) James 3:13 13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. (KJV) 1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. (KJV) 1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (KJV)
- TEMPERANCE (SELF-CONTROL) . . . Proverbs 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly. (KJV) Proverbs 16:32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city. (KJV) Proverbs 25:28 He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls. (KJV) Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. (KJV) Titus 1:8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; (KJV) James 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: (KJV) James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. (KJV) 2 Peter 1:5-7 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. (KJV)
Have you ever truly considered that we ALL have sinned and deserve God's judgment and the penalty of that sin? God, the Father, sent His only begotten Son to satisfy that judgment for those who accept Him and believe in Him. Only begotten Son: (Jn.1:18; 3:16, 18; Heb.11:17; 1Jn.4:9).
Jesus, is the Creator and He is the eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He died for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was buried, and rose from the dead according to the Bible. If you truly believe that Jesus took your place on the cross, and you trust Him to keep His Promise of eternal life to you (Jn.3:15-8, 36; 5:24; 10:27-30), you shall spend eternity with God in Heaven (Jn.14:1-3; 1 Pet.1:3-5). Jesus, Creator: (Jn.1:3, 10; 1 Cor.8:6. Eph.3:9; Col.1:16; Heb.1:1-2,10; 3:3; Rev.3:14). Eternal Son of God: (Ex.3:14; Ps.48:14; 90:2, 4; 100:5; 106:17; 117:2; Isa.9:6-7; Hab.1:12; Jn.1:1-3; 8:56-58; Heb.1:12; 13:8; Jam.1:17).
Holy Spirit Empowers Believers
Fruit, How It Is Produced
Fruits Are Spiritual Attributes
Fruits of the Spirit
Fruits, How to Live a Holy Life